Wednesday, November 08, 2006

November - Melbourne Cup Weekend

I was uncertain about what type of running I would get in over the weekend, as I had a few other bits and pieces on the go.

I managed two good runs, but missed a third for an unexpected reason.

The first run was on Saturday morning down in Traralgon. I was back in my old home town for the races on Saturday, so decided to do an easy trot around in the morning. It was good going past a lot of places that were a big part of my growing up, and funny seeing how things had changed, yet still were the same (..if you know what I mean!)

Anyway I completed 10km in an easy pace, although there were a few areas I didn't enjoy as much due to large numbers of magpies and memories of some swooping action as a kid!

Sunday I was back in Melbourne, and after a lazy day decided a longer run was on the cards. So I set off through Abbotsford and joined the Capitol City Trail behind Victoria Park. I headed north alongside Merri Creek, and then continued following the trail along the path through North Fitzroy and Carlton. From there it was through Princes Park, around the Zoo and Royal Park, and then joining up with the Moonee Ponds Creek section of the path at Racecourse Road. South until I got to Footscray Road, and then along there to the Docklands and over the La Trobe Street Bridge, through the city to Victoria Parade and then home.

All up this was a 19km run, covered in 1hour and 48 minutes. The longest run I have covered in a while, and I felt pretty good throughout, although was definitely tired at the end.

The plan was to do a run on Monday night as well, however I had a blister burst and on Monday afternoon it had begun to get quite sore, and when I had a look at it there was a dark red patch all around one edge. So I have had to put the feet up and let the blister dry out and heal. So it may be a quiet week for me!